Landlords Maintenance Responsibilities
Being a landlord comes with a certain amount of responsibility. Landlords are legally required to maintain properties to a standard that ensures tenants are living in a safe and healthy environment.
Maintaining property adequately is not only a legal requirement, well maintained properties attract good tenants and help to ensure continuous tenancies and yield.
Existing Strats Landlords are given the option of taking out a maintenance contract through Strats Property Maintenance Company Limited. Our maintenance contracts are the most comprehensive and cost effective way for both tenants and landlords to enjoy stress free tenancies.
As local maintenance contractors call out fees start at £45+vat, a StratS maintenance contract with its unlimited free call outs is a wise choice for landlords. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01707 265049 for further information on maintenance contracts.
Maintenance repairs are prioritised by urgency and must be dealt with within the following timescales.
- Priority 1 - Emergency 24hrs
- Priority 2 - Urgent 3 days
- Priority 3 - Non Urgent 30 days
Failure to comply could risk landlords facing legal action from tenants.
For a full list of classifications see Priority Maintenance Repairs
As well as Mandatory Certification for Gas Safety, Electrical PIR, PAT Testing, Fire Risk Assessment, Grade A & C Fire Alarm Systems, landlords are responsible for the following items:
- Repairs to central heating boiler, controls, radiators, pipework and hot water system.
- Removing sludge or hard-water scale from the boiler or system
- Plumbing repairs: hot and cold water pipes, toilet cisterns, repairs to taps or replace if beyond repair, leaking or seized stopcocks.
- Private drain unblocking and repairs (drain pipes from toilets, baths and sinks).
- Repairs and, or replacement if necessary to electrical wiring, fuse boards and broken, damaged or faulty electrical fittings within your home. Existing external security lights included
- Repairing the power supply between your home and outbuildings on property.
- Repairs and, or replacement of white goods including cooker and extractor fan.·
- A locksmith to gain entry if the locks are damaged.
- General wear and tear to door and window locks and mechanisms
- External and internal glazing repairs to broken or cracked windows damaged by a break-in, vandalism, storm or impact or accidental damage
- Removing the following pest infestations from inside your home: wasp, bee and hornet nests, mice, rats, squirrels and cockroaches.
- Removal of garden pest infestations.
- Painting and decorating of all walls, ceilings and woodwork in all W.C, bathroom, en-suite shower rooms and kitchens as necessary.
- Painting and decorating of hallways, staircases, landings and bedrooms and external walls of the property.
- Repairs or replacing household furniture, beds, wardrobes, chest of drawers, desk and chairs, dining table and chairs, sofas.
- Garden maintenance – grass and bush/hedge cutting/trimming unless equipment is supplied to tenant or agreed in tenancy.
- Tree cutting.
- Fence repairs or replacements damaged maliciously or by weather damage.
- Gutter clearance and repairs.
- Fire alarm maintenance.
- Shared drains.
- Structural repairs, dry rot and rising damp.
- Roofing repairs as a result of wear and tear, damage caused by a storm or impact damage
- Repairs to facias.
- Repairing damage to flat, tarpaulin, plastic, thatched, felt or glass roofs.
- Garden sheds.
- HMO maintenance – any new legislation introduced by the local authority enforced from the Housing Act.
- Design or pre-existing faults.
- Damage caused by a third party
Tenants are responsible for minor maintenance like, changing smoke alarm batteries, tightening loose cupboard door screws and unblocking sinks or toilets if they have blocked them, touching up paint work plus making good any damage incurred by either them or their guests
Tenants are also expected for informing landlords of any repairs or maintenance required in a timely manner to prevent escalating repair costs.
" Always very friendly when I go into the Office. Although they must have hundreds of landlords and tenants, they always address me by name. "
Marian WoolhouseRead More
" Whenever there has been a problem or something needed doing, all the staff of Strats have always been friendly and accommodating. "
Andrea EzekielRead More
" Proactive and Highly Professional Agent. Always honouring their commitments "
Louis MichaelRead More
" The service over the years has been first class "
Mr & Mrs TuckerRead More
" “I have been both the lettings and sales departments at Strats for a number of years in Hatfield. My lettings for all of my properties have always gone smoothly and swiftly and dealt with very professionally...."
Mr A MouzoureRead More